Selecting a good primary care physician is one of the best and most important things you can do for your personal health. Your primary care physician (PCP) will be the person focused on keeping you healthy for the rest of your life, the one who knows your health history best, and the one who will schedule the routine screening tests that help to both prevent and detect diseases. If you don’t already have a primary care physician or are looking to find a new one, follow these steps to make sure you pick the right doctor for you.
- Ask for referrals from your friends and family—they can be a great resource for finding health care providers that you will mesh well with.
- Select someone you work well with. They should be friendly and approachable and make you feel at ease. They will be involved with your care for a long time, so make sure you can communicate easily together.
- Consider choosing a doctor with an office that is close to your home or office to make getting to appointments easier.
- Keep any language requirements in mind.
- Have an idea of what kind of doctor you feel most comfortable with—male or female.
- The physician you ultimately choose should be good about returning calls, be helpful, and have convenient office hours that work with your schedule.
- Make an introductory appointment to get to know your potential new doctor, ask questions, and make sure you like not only the doctor, but the nurse and office staff as well.
- If you have a hospital preference, be sure to understand which hospitals your doctor practices at or refers to.
Choosing the right primary care physician can seem like an overwhelming task, but it is an important decision.
SSM Health makes it easier by connecting you with exceptional physicians in locations across Mid Missouri
with just a phone call. Call the SSM Health physician referral service toll-free at 844-SSM-WELL (776-9355) for a free referral to one of the 130-plus physicians and healthcare providers in our network. We’ll work with you to match your needs and find a provider who accepts your medical plan.