St. Mary’s Health Center has received the highest level of accreditation as a full Chest Pain Center with PCI from the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care. It is the first and most extensively accredited center in Jefferson City, Columbia or the lake area.
“St. Mary’s understands that minutes really do matter when it comes to the heart,” said Jane Dozier, St. Mary’s Chest Pain Center coordinator. “We want each patient with chest pain to be taken care of quickly and accurately, so they can have the best possible outcome and quality of life.”
More than five million Americans visit hospitals each year with chest pain. The St. Mary’s Chest Pain Center has demonstrated its expertise and commitment to quality patient care by meeting or exceeding a wide set of stringent criteria and completing on-site evaluations by a review team from SCPC. Key areas in which a Chest Pain Center must demonstrate expertise include:
- Integrating the emergency department with the local emergency medical system
- Assessing, diagnosing, and treating patients quickly
- Effectively treating patients with low risk for acute coronary syndrome and no assignable cause for their symptoms
- Continually seeking to improve processes and procedures
- Ensuring the competence and training of Accredited Chest Pain Center personnel
- Having a functional design that promotes optimal patient care
- Supporting community outreach programs that educate the public to promptly seek medical care if they display symptoms of a possible heart attack
Accreditation is for three years. St. Mary’s has been an accredited Chest Pain Center with the SCPC since 2004.